Well, I got the demo, started it, ran around a bit, fought some creatures, swore a bit got mildly intrigued then annoyed. Dungeon Siege 3 is Obsidians first true own engine game, and it is an engine made for consoles.
So what is good?
- A demo to begin with is a nice peculiarly seldom thing to happen. Good
- A fantasy game that demands a bit more interaction then previous DS titles.
- Nice graphics, fluent, vibrant colours
- Story is mildly intriguing
What is bad then?
- It’s a console game
- The steering is really not snappy or good. It feels very awkward running around with the keyboard and mouse. And before you go “hey there is possible to plug in your controller” – yeah – but I have a big fucking PC – with a great mouse, even two, and a state of the art keyboard – I don’t want no bloody controller!
- The camera is bad. And I mean bad as in two things: 1 it is bad because it doesn’t hide things that gets in the way immediately making archways, branches, forests, doors etc into dangerous areas since you can’t see what’s behind them or to the side. Sure – they fade and so far on the easy setting, nothing lurks behind the doors – but I fought spiders and the auto-camera couldn’t shoe them to me. Bad! 2. The camera has one zoomed in setting and one zoomed out – ala’ Xbox style. This is very console-esque and too close to comfort. You can’t see very far, and there is not real tilting except in the zoom in setting. But you can’t control it or fine tune it.
- Controls – I know, I mentioned steering above but this is another thing – you can’t make your own controls. You can’t change action button to thumb button etc – making it – yeah you know the drill – a bloody console game playable on your PC.
So what am I gonna do? Well, I gonna save the space on my PC for Diablo III and try a demo on the PS3 and see if the co-op is enticing enough to play this title at all. On PC I wouldn’t recommend this unless your savvy with the controller and like well console games in every word of the meaning. Now this is only a demo – but as far as the engine and game goes – there will most likely not be a huge difference made to the bad things above.